mission

A project spawned by my love for my own 2 PitBull "Babies"... Most of the dogs featured I have stumbled upon on the pages of the internet. Links to their stories will be included for further information. Art items are for sale in my ArtsyBullies etsy shop... Portions of the proceeds will be donated to Bully Rescue/Organizations.

Please do not duplicate any of my art without my permission, they are all copyright ©Jamie Schwartz visit Jammerdesignz for my tattoo portfolio and other work. "Art is the Pits, Artsy Bullies by Jamie Schwartz" is a registered Trademark. Please do not use any images without my consent.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"Sgt. Stubby"- Bully Ambassador #7

"Stubby"- BA#7

3"x5" Acrylic on wooden plaque

The Final Ambassador in my series ends on Lucky #7 who else would I hold up to that honor than "Stubby" here is an excerpt from his wikipedia page:

***"Stubby served with the 102nd Infantry, 26th (Yankee) Division in the trenches in France for 18 months and participated in four offensives and 17 battles. He entered combat on February 5, 1918 at Chemin des Dames, north of Soissons, and was under constant fire, day and night for over a month. In April 1918, during a raid to take Seicheprey (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Stubby was wounded in the foreleg by the retreating Germans throwing hand grenades. He was sent to the rear for convalescence, and as he had done on the front was able to improve morale. When he recovered from his wounds, Stubby returned to the trenches.
After being gassed himself, Stubby learned to warn his unit of poison gas attacks, located wounded soldiers in no man's land, and — since he could hear the whine of incoming artillery shells before humans could — became very adept at letting his unit know when to duck for cover. He was solely responsible for capturing a German spy in the Argonne. Following the retaking of Château-Thierry by the US, the thankful women of the town made Stubby a chamois coat on which were pinned his many medals. There is also a legend that while in Paris with Corporal Conroy, Stubby saved a young girl from being hit by a car. At the end of the war, Conroy smuggled Stubby home."***


"Sergeant Stubby (1916 or 1917 – March 16, 1926), was the most decorated war dog of World War I and the only dog to be promoted to sergeant through combat."

Photobucket


Side note... Rant:

Today I found myself wandering the links posted upon my facebook wall... all leading to outside sites... articles for and against Pit bull type dogs... I find it's a two sided coin and for every one person for these animals you may find 2 or 3 against.... I had to stop reading the comments underneath the articles. It evoked a sadness mixed with rage in me. My dogs are not this stereo type of awful loaded weapons some people would have them to believe....If more of the human race acted out of LOVE instead of FEAR (which begets hate) the world would be a kinder place to ALL species. Today it seems I had my limit of ignorance and hate... and it was only just after noon... *sigh* While I love my Pitties. I do not feel they belong in the hands of every pet owner... Especially ones not willing to commit the time and effort that goes along with being a responsible dog owner. We call them our "fur-kids, & fur-babies" however we still need to understand they are dogs and need structure. I feel if a person decides that they would like to welcome a dog into their life, then they really need to read up on the breed they choose BEFORE they welcome her into their home. When we knew we were getting "Stan" I went to the book store and bought a few books, ones on boxers and also APBT, as that's what is in Stan's lineage. I read them cover to cover as well as some dog training books. I knew from the start I wanted to be a responsible dog owner. Not every dog out there is a proper fit for a certain type of family. You need to be responsible when choosing... Read up on different breeds to see which would best suit your lifestyle. With that being said the media and uneducated/ uninformed people alike, take heresy as fact and exploit those incidents that are the extreme... I guess you can find this in any movement you have strong feelings for...With my Husband it's his 2nd amendment rights, and with me (and him) it's also our love for Pit bull type dogs... The similarities in the witch hunts are starting to look the same. You have fear of the unknown, some extreme instances and then boom... lets ban the issues at hand. What makes America so great is our right to CHOOSE and our freedoms of speech... unfortunately not everyone is always going to agree with your choices or your stands on certain issues.

I know I go to bed every night loved. Loved by a great family, Loved by an amazing spouse, loved by the only children I choose to have, 2 cats snuggled right next to 2 very Loved and loving Pit-bull type dogs. I choose to live my life full of LOVE rather than FEAR.

No comments:

Post a Comment